Knossos Private Family Friendly Guided Tour
If you are looking for the perfect option for an archaeological tour in Crete look no further than the ancient Minoan capital Knossos. Your kids will love our Knossos private family friendly guided tour to the Palace of King Minos as it will bring their knowledge of Greek mythology to life.
Admire the legendary Palace of Knossos, connected with the story of Daedalus and Icarus, the labyrinth, where the fearsome Minotaur used to live, and the love story of Theseus and Ariadne. Your guide will walk you through the various rooms including the Throne Room of King Minos, the colorful frescoes of the Blue Ladies, the Central Court and the Grand Staircase etc.
Children will marvel at the colorful frescoes featuring mythical creatures and they will wish that they could sit on the impressive throne in the Throne Room of King Minos.
During the Knossos private family friendly guided tour, the kids will let their imaginations run wild at the thought of being at the heart of Theseus and Minotaur’s story, while parents can enjoy a little romance as they get lost in the love story of Theseus and Ariadne. The colorful frescoes situated around the palace should not be missed.
The tour lasts between 90-120 minutes and is perfectly combined with the new guiding tool “The Palace of Knossos 3D app”. You may reserve tablets for your family and use the technology to visualize the amazing architecture of the Palace and experience an unforgettable time travel back in the Minoan era!
Before you plan your visit to Knossos, we highly suggest you have a look at some Greek mythology stories such as Theseus and the Minotaur, Icarus and Daedalous. Trust us, there is no doubt that this will prove fascinating for your kids. Kids Love Knossos is the best way to do it!
Families should know
- The duration of the family guided tour in the Palace of Knossos is 90-120 minutes.
- Knossos is one of the top attractions for kids in Crete and it is a great place to extend your child’s education on Greek Mythology. It’s important to set your child’s expectations that there is no maze as this is just a part of the myth.
- Ensure that you bring plenty of water and sun protection as the majority of the site is not protected from the sun.
- There are stairs in some parts which may not be suitable for younger children and are not suitable for strollers.
- Our child-friendly tours are available in a number of languages.
- A tour guide is invaluable when visiting the palace as there is little in the way of signage so you having someone to answer questions is one of the many benefits of having a tour guide in Greece.
- Your tour guide will also tell you of when is the best time of the day to visit The Palace of Knossos so as to avoid the crowds.In any case, if you visit the area in summer, it would be good to avoid the midday hours (12.00 – 16.00) due to high temperatures. Avoid the weekends as it can be crowded. During the summer months there are usually long queues at the ticket counters. We suggest arriving relatively early in the morning.
- We recommend you buy some water before entering the archaeological site
- Do not forget your hat and sunscreen, especially during the summer months when the sun is quite intense and shade is scarce.
- Unfortunately, for the restoration of the palace, cement has been used in several places.
Best season to visit